2020/08/04

Biweekly update #5

Art

Happy to see you


Dev spotlight

To anyone wondering why there was a long pause between the blog posts, I was just on a vacation. In hindsight it wasn't that smart not to notify about it on the blog as well, since my Patreon page and the blog probably have some differences in audiences. I'm back now, and I'll be doing the normal weekly and biweekly things as before. And yes, I am still working on V3.

Contributor help hardships
Some people may have noticed that I've recently had trouble responding, or just didn't respond to emails sent to me. It's actually caused by a rather unfortunate issue of time, energy and value.

When I started developing Teraurge, I naively thought that I could help other writers and vet their writing just by having them send me their stuff via email. This did happen for a short time, but it soon became evident that even a small number of writers is just too much work to handle for me, because of the uneven quality and amount of learning needed from the writers, and my lack of time to coach them properly.

I did persevere with a few writers in the beginning and tried to push the things they were writing to completion, but I either lost contact with them, or the writers became disillusioned/stressed/uninterested in the writing process and their writing projects never got finished. After several of these writers abandoned their efforts despite my help and critique, I became disillusioned with the process, as the opportunity value spent on helping writers became very, very slim. It seriously sapped my own enthusiasm about the idea.

For a long time I wasn't sure what went wrong, or what I was doing wrong. Eventually I did realize what the issue was, but I ignored it in hopes of making it work. But in the end it's simply a logistical issue of a single person trying to do too many things at the same time, and dividing their attention between many complex tasks. 

Anyone of you who did write and send emails to me and never heard back; I appreciate the interest and I wish I could have worked with everyone to put content into the game, but it just wasn't realistically possible. As it stands I cannot help contributors over email but I would still like to implement possible contributor content if it has already been finished and meets the guideline standards.

8 comments:

  1. Remember to take care of yourself and good luck on your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoyed your vacation. Just take it from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be done in by a single person, yet you tried to help several writers! Pretty amazing i would say even if it did not work out in the long run. Good thing you worked out the issue and it came to a good conclusion.

    Can't wait to see what you show us next, love everything you post no matter what it is.
    Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Setting yourself up to do too much work is unfortunately a very easy trap to fall into. Glad to know you're taking some personal time. Nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you ran to the store for milk there for a second

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back all can i ask if ypi can port this game so everyone has a chance to play it

    ReplyDelete