2020/01/17

Weekly update #24

Art

Amorous slugstalk

Jelly head

A bonus picture from the archives. This one's fairly old now.


Dev spotlight

Still working on V3.

Writing is one of the hardest parts of the Teraurge development. There's a constant battle I have with self doubt and I tend to second guess the text I produce. Starting the writing process itself is often a huge hill to climb, even if it's something very simple and short. This means that writing is often put into a mental box of "Too intimidating, I'll do this later". I've tried several ways to improve my ability to produce text consistently and to lower the barrier to start writing. I can draw whatever whenever, and I'd like to get that same confidence for writing.

Few days ago I discovered a website that has massively helped me with the anxiety of writing. It works by reframing writing as a habit you would do every day. 750words is a simple website that gives you an empty page with no formatting tools, just text, and challenges you to write 750 words every day. I just write everything I want to write today and afterwards format it into the final context (blog post, TU characters, etc). Removing all of the peripheral things and just writings words is very freeing to me.

The website also analyzes the text you've written and it employs some gamifying elements to push you along, like points for consistently writing everyday. The constant word count tracking of your work is also very good for maintaining motivation, because it's a proof of the work you've done today. This is a lot better than trying to guesstimate the amount of writing you've done that day. The site has a free 30 day trial, and membership is 5$/Month.

So, the dev spotlight this week is just me shilling a website. I don't know anyone related to the website and nobody is paying me, I've just found the website immensely helpful with my writing.

14 comments:

  1. The bonus pic is the coolest
    hope that she'll be in the game

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, thank you Meandraco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally got around to making an account on here solely to follow your progress in this amazing game.

    Your art, your story, your writing in the game is phenomenal—exceptionally well done. The fact that you’re/were having trouble with making progress on the writing portion, makes me feel better; because I know that I’m not the only one struggling.

    I’m glad you found that website. I’m going to have to check it out and once I get paid, I’m going to begin contributing to you every month because this game that you’ve created and continuing to work on? It deserves more support and I’d love to see it grow. That’s why I’m going to sponsor you. Keep at it sir/ma’am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the slug makes it into the game

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, absolutely fantastic to hear!
    I wish you well in your continued development of the game. I plan to support your Patreon as soon as I'm able.
    If the writing is still difficult for you, have you considered bringing on someone else to do some?
    I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd do it cheap, if not free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MD isn't doing the game completely alone, even V1 had someone else contribute writing and ideas to it. However, Teraurge in its entirety is his passion project in the first place, from coding to writing, so expecting him to delegate major sections of it to strangers isn't going to happen.
      The main way you or anyone else can help MD with the game is to write and send your own characters that might fit the world to MD. This is due to the amount of work it takes to create a single good fleshed out character. That is why MD accepts volunteer contributor content in the game in the first place.

      Delete
  8. Question: Will you change the style of drawing in pencil and paper for something more realistic and detailed?

    ReplyDelete